If you need help in an emergency, please call 999 or if the emergency is on campus or in University accommodation, contact the University Security Services emergency number on 0113 343 2222 (available 24 hours a day). 
There is a lot of support available that can be tailored for what you need and you stay in control of what decisions you choose to make.  You don't have to report incidents to the police in order to access any of the services. 

What support do you feel you need?

You may want to talk to someone, be concerned about your safety, safety of others, or require practical support, such as help with accessing safe accommodation, impact on your studies. It can feel overwhelming talking to someone about what has happened as well as dealing with any practical issues.  One or a combination the services below may be helpful for you.

Support for students

Harassment and Misconduct Team: our university's specialist advisers can explaining what support is available and help with practical issues such as mitigating circumstances or safe accommodation.  They can also make personal referrals to other services who can help with emotional support or practical issues such as financial difficulties. You can also have a named advisor who can be a main point of contact to help you when you need additional support or updates on your case if you choose to make a complaint.  The service is confidential and your information would not be shared (unless there is an immediate risk to you or someone else). You can contact the team at reportandsupport@leeds.ac.uk or by completing our disclosure form.

Student Counselling and Wellbeing: this service offers a range of emotional and wellbeing support from one to one counselling, a same day drop in service and a many in person and online workshops that may be helpful for you.  The service is confidential and they will not share any information about you or your situation unless you want them to.  The only time this would happen is if there are any Safeguarding concerns including immediate risk to you or someone else.  You can email the team at scw@leeds.ac.uk or have a look at further information.

Leeds University Union (LUU) Advice team: this service is independent of the university and can help support on a range of practical issues that may have arisen after your experience.  This can include academic guidance if you have any exams or coursework due in, financial support, help with accommodation issues.  They can also help make referrals to other support agencies and help with options around making a complaint. The team have a daily drop in service and work with other partners to deliver specialist drop in services. The service is confidential and no information will be shared about out you without your permission, unless you or someone else was at immediate risk. They are located in the Advice room in the LUU foyer.  You can contact them by calling in, email advice@luu.leeds.ac.uk or call on +44 113 3801 400. For further information please visit their website.

Support in your School: you may feel comfortable to talk to your Academic Personal Tutor or Student Support Officer. They can make referrals to other specialist services. They can also talk through your options if your studies have been impacted. You may be able to ask for mitigating circumstances for upcoming deadlines. It is really important you speak to someone before you sit any exams or submit work. Any of the support services listed on this page can help you with this.

If you are a postgraduate research student, you may want to talk to your Supervisor about what has happened as they play a crucial role in supporting you with both the academic and pastoral elements of your studies,  your Graduate School can also help.  They can help advise you on your options for taking some time away from your studies, can explain how to ask for additional time to complete work and can also organise, or suggest, emotional and wellbeing support.  

Placements, Study Abroad or Apprenticeships:  as a Leeds Student you can access the free, independent and confidential help from professional advisors throughout your time at the university - even when you on not on campus e.g. with an employer, abroad or on a placement.  You can contact your named co-ordinator or tutor or get in touch with the Global Opportunities team or for independent advice and support you can contact LUU advice.  The team are located in the Advice room in the LUU foyer.  You can contact them by calling in, email advice@luu.leeds.ac.uk or call on +44 113 3801 400. For further information please visit their website.

Support in Residences.
If you live in a university halls of residence, you can contact your Residence Life Wardens who can offer support and signposting guidance. They hold advisory sessions and normally you don’t require an appointment to attend. To find out which Residence Life Warden(s) look after your residence and when they are available, visit contacts page and select your residence from the drop down menu. If for any reason you are unable to reach a Warden, you can email Residence Life via ResidenceLife@leeds.ac.uk or out of hours, call security via 0113 343 2222

Faith Based Support 

Faith based support on campus can be accessed by students and staff

Universities Chaplaincy team: they offer a confidential, pastoral care and spiritual support to students of all faiths and to those who have no religious beliefs. You can get in touch by email: Chaplaincy@leeds.ac.uk or visit their website.

Muslim Student Adviser: Fahat Yaqoob offers pastoral and spiritual support and connects people from all backgrounds through Unity communications and activities.  You can get in touch with Farhat by emailing F.Yaqoob@leeds.ac.uk.

Jewish Chaplaincy: chaplains and chaplaincy couples offer support to Jewish students of all backgrounds and affiliations.  For further information please visit the national University Jewish Chaplaincy website and/or the Jewish chaplaincy in the Leeds and Yorkshire areas.

Support for staff 

You may wish to get support if you are impacted by what a student or colleague has disclosed to you.

Staff Counselling and Psychological Support: the team provides confidential professional support for all University staff for personal or work-related problems and challenges.   They operate a hybrid model of working.  Most Staff Counsellors work partly from home and partly on campus whilst some work wholly from home.  They recognise that colleagues too may be working from home, on campus or a mixture of the two.  The service can provide counselling and role-based support in person on campus, online or by phone.

They also have a range of wellbeing resources. You can get in touch via email at staffcounselling@leeds.ac.uk or phone 0113 3433694.  You can also visit their website for more information.

Your Line Manager or HR:  It may help to talk to your line manager if you are finding what has happening or still is ongoing, is having an impact on your work and/or emotional wellbeing.   If you are not comfortable doing this you can speak to your HR Officer who can talk through what support is available. HR will be able to discuss these issues with you sensitively and without involving your manager initially. In many cases, however, your manager may need to become involved at a later stage , as this is often necessary to investigate or address issues that are raised. You can find out the details of your local HR Officer on the HR website.

Trade Union Representation:  if you are a member of a Trade Union, you may wish to approach them for support and advice.

Support off campus

Leeds Domestic Violence Service (LDVS) supports all people in Leeds affected by domestic violence and abuse. Whatever you may be going through, they are here to listen without judgement and support. You can find out more about how we can support you by calling our 24 hour helpline on 0113 246 0401, emailing us at hello@ldvs.uk or taking a look around their website for more information.

HALT Domestic Violence (Help, Advice and the Law Team) offers information, advice, advocacy. HALT delivers the Independent Domestic Violence Advisors (IDVA) service as part of LDVS offering support to those at the highest risk of domestic and sexual violence and abuse, stalking, forced marriage and honour based violence. You can self-refer to their service by calling  0113 246 0401. More information is available on their website.

National Stalking Helpline is run by the Suzy Lampugh Trust.  They offer advice, support and guidance if you feel you are being stalked or have concerns about someone's behaviour.  For more information please visit National Stalking Helpline | Suzy Lamplugh Trust

If you need to speak to someone, Victim Support are available every day, night and day. Call their free and 24 hour Supportline on 08 08 16 89 111 or start a live chat any time. You can also find out the different ways you can get confidential and free support here. Read Victim Support's leaflet Surviving Domestic Abuse (pdf).

Clare's Law (also known as the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (DVDS)) is a police policy giving people the right to know if their current or ex-partner has any previous history of violence or abuse. Read more here.

Karma Nirvana is the first specialist charity for victims and survivors of Honour Based Abuse in the UK. You can call their UK Helpline: 0800 5999 247 or get help from their website.

Women's Night Safe Space:  a non-judgemental safe bus for women to seek refuge, support and advice in the city centre at night time. Support includes: mobile phone charging facilities, water, refreshments and warm drinks, support calling a taxi and somewhere to talk through concerns and be signposted for further support.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened