If you need help in an emergency, please call 999 or if the emergency is on campus or in University accommodation, contact the University Security Services emergency number on 0113 343 2222 (available 24 hours a day). 
Support is available on and off campus. Your next steps are entirely your choice, and you don't have to report the incident in order to access these services. One or a combination of the services below may be helpful.

Support for Students

Harassment and Misconduct Team: our university's specialist advisers can explaining what support is available and what would happen if you choose to make a complaint. They can also help with practical issues such as mitigating circumstances or accommodation concerns. The service is confidential and your information would not be shared (unless there is an immediate risk to you or someone else). You can contact the team at reportandsupport@leeds.ac.uk or by completing our disclosure form.

Student Counselling and Wellbeing: offers one to one and group based emotional, wellbeing and mental health support, both in person and online. This includes a daily Wellbeing Drop In; individual Brief Counselling and Wellbeing appointments and longer term Mental Health support for students with more serious and enduring mental illness. The service is confidential and they will not share any information about you or your situation unless you want them to, or where there is an immediate risk to your or someone else’s life or safety. You can email the team at scw@leeds.ac.uk or have a look at further information.

Leeds University Union (LUU) Advice team: independent of the university, they can support on a range of practical issues.  This includes support with upcoming deadlines, finances and accommodation. They can also make referrals to other support agencies and help you with making a complaint. The team have a daily drop in service and work with other partners to deliver specialist drop in services. The service is confidential and no information will be shared about you without your permission, unless you or someone else was at immediate risk. The team are located in the Advice room in the LUU foyer.  You can contact them by calling in, email advice@luu.leeds.ac.uk or call on +44 113 3801 400. For further information please visit their website.

Support in your School: you may feel comfortable to talk to your Academic Personal Tutor or Student Support Officer. They can make referrals to other specialist services. They can also talk through your options if your studies have been impacted. You may be able to ask for mitigating circumstances for upcoming deadlines. It is really important you speak to someone before you sit any exams or submit work. Any of the support services listed on this page can help you with this.

Placements, Study Abroad or Apprenticeships: as a Leeds Student you can access the free, independent and confidential help from professional advisors throughout your time at the university - even when you on not on campus e.g. with an employer, abroad or on a placement.  You can contact your named co-ordinator or tutor or get in touch with the Global Opportunities team or for independent advice and support you can contact LUU advice.  The team are located in the Advice room in the LUU foyer.  You can contact them by calling in, email advice@luu.leeds.ac.uk or call on +44 113 3801 400. For further information please visit their website.

If you are a postgraduate research student, you may want to talk to your Supervisor about what has happened as they play a crucial role in supporting you with both the academic and pastoral elements of your studies, your Graduate School can also help.  They can help advise you on your options for taking some time away from your studies, can explain how to ask for additional time to complete work and can also organise, or suggest, emotional and wellbeing support.  

Support in Residences: if you live in a university halls of residence, you can contact your Residence Life Wardens who can offer support and signposting guidance. They hold advisory sessions and normally you don’t require an appointment to attend. To find out which Residence Life Warden(s) look after your residence and when they are available, visit contacts page and select your residence from the drop down menu. If for any reason you are unable to reach a Warden, you can email Residence Life via ResidenceLife@leeds.ac.uk or out of hours, call security via 0113 343 2222

Faith Based support

Faith based support on campus can be accessed by students and staff

Universities Chaplaincy team: they offer a confidential, pastoral care and spiritual support to students of all faiths and to those who have no religious beliefs. You can get in touch by email: Chaplaincy@leeds.ac.uk or visit their website.

Muslim Student Adviser: Fahat Yaqoob offers pastoral and spiritual support and connects people from all backgrounds through Unity communications and activities.  You can get in touch with Farhat by emailing F.Yaqoob@leeds.ac.uk.

Jewish Chaplaincy: chaplains and chaplaincy couples offer support to Jewish students of all backgrounds and affiliations.  For further information please visit the national University Jewish Chaplaincy website and/or the Jewish chaplaincy in the Leeds and Yorkshire areas.

Support for Staff

You may wish to get support if you are impacted by what a student or colleague has disclosed to you. 

Staff Counselling and Psychological Support: the team provides confidential professional support for all University staff for personal or work-related problems and challenges.   They operate a hybrid model of working.  Most Staff Counsellors work partly from home and partly on campus whilst some work wholly from home.  They recognise that colleagues too may be working from home, on campus or a mixture of the two.  The service can provide counselling and role-based support in person on campus, online or by phone.

They also have a range of wellbeing resources. You can get in touch via email at staffcounselling@leeds.ac.uk or phone 0113 3433694.  You can also visit their website for more information.

Your Line Manager or HR:  It may help to talk to your line manager if you are finding what has happening or still is ongoing, is having an impact on your work and/or emotional wellbeing.   If you are not comfortable doing this you can speak to your HR Officer who can talk through what support is available. HR will be able to discuss these issues with you sensitively and without involving your manager initially. In many cases, however, your manager may need to become involved at a later stage , as this is often necessary to investigate or address issues that are raised. You can find out the details of your local HR Officer on the HR website.

Trade Union Representation:  if you are a member of a Trade Union, you may wish to approach them for support and advice.

Support Off Campus 

There are many local and national charities that can offer a broad range of support.  We have listed a few below that may be helpful.

The Hazlehurst Centre: Help is available 24 hours a day. In Leeds, our local SARC is information about how to book an appointment and what to expect when you are there.

GP Services: you may want to consider accessing medical services from your local GP, including Leeds Student Medical Practice.

SARSVL: Support After Rape and Sexual Violence Leeds is a Rape Crisis Centre that supports women and girls who have experienced sexual violence at any time of their life. They are trans-inclusive service that provides information, advocacy and counselling.

Shantona: Shantona's ISVA service provides specialist free and confidential support to girls and young women age 13 to 25, from culturally diverse communities.

Galop: the LGBT+ anti-abuse charity supports LGBT+ victims/survivors of sexual abuse and violence. Their helpline is available Monday - Friday by calling 0800 999 5428, emailing help@galop.org.uk or via webchat. More information on their helpline including opening hours is available on their website.

Basis Yorkshire: provides safety, information and support to women and young people.

Survivors UK: is a national charity that support male victims of sexual assault or abuse. Locally, victims/survivors can access support from Survivors West Yorkshire and Ben's Place.

Sexual Health Support: if you're worried about Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI), HIV or pregnancy, you can access testing/screening and contraception from MESMAC. There is also information in relation to group support.

Women's Night Safe Space:  a non-judgemental safe bus for women to seek refuge, support and advice in the city centre at night time. Support includes: mobile phone charging facilities, water, refreshments and warm drinks, support calling a taxi and somewhere to talk through concerns and be signposted for further support. 

There are two ways you can tell us what happened