If you need help in an emergency, please call 999 or if the emergency is on campus or in University accommodation, contact the University Security Services emergency number on 0113 343 2222 (available 24 hours a day). 
If you have been spiked within the past few hours, stay with a friend that you trust and ask them to help you get medical attention.  If you are in a bar or nightclub, speak to the security or bar staff.  If you are concerned that the person who spiked you is in your group or nearby - when you talk to the staff 'Ask For Angela'.  This is a code that means the staff will know that you need some discreet support and to get you away from your current environment. 

If you have already left the venue or a persons house, you can go to your nearest Accident and Emergency Department and tell them you believe you have been spiked.  They can take blood tests and also monitor your physical wellbeing.  Or if you don't want to contact anyone, get a taxi home, let someone know you don't feel well and get some rest.  You can contact your GP if you have ongoing symptoms.

There are many cases when someone believes they may have been spiked but can't remember it happening.  When you wake up the next morning you feel that something isn't right.  This is normal and would be an impact of the drug that was used.  It doesn't mean it didn't happen.  Something else may have also happened as a result of being spiked or injected.  You may be unsure about coming forward if you can't remember what happened, or you may not feel it will be taken seriously.  

It is important to remember that it is not your fault. There is support for you and you don't have to report the incident to the police in order to access this support. 

What do you want to happen next?

You may know for sure you were spiked (through medical support you received) or may be unsure, you know something may have happened but can't remember everything.  Please don't let this stop you coming and having a chat - it is important that the impact on you is recognised and all information helps to understand what is happening to it can inform other preventative activity.  Here are a few services that can help talk through what happened and look at any options you may want to take.

Talk to your GP: especially if you have any concerns about your physical wellbeing.  If the spiking happened within the past 72 hours they may be able to take a blood sample that will show what drug was used.

Talk to one of our trained Harassment and Misconduct Team: they are experienced in supporting student victims of spiking.   They can talk through what support is available.  They can also help refer to other services to help with practical issues such as mitigating circumstances or help with your emotional and physical wellbeing. You will be supported by a named advisor, who can be a main point of contact to help you when you need additional support or updates on your case if you choose to make a complaint. The service is confidential and your information would not be shared (unless there is an immediate risk to you or someone else). You can contact the team at reportandsupport@leeds.ac.uk or by completing our disclosure form.

Talk to an experienced advisor at Leeds University Union (LUU) Advice team: they are independent of the university.   Staff have experience of supporting student victims of spiking.  An advisor can talk through your options and support you through whatever decision you make, including if make a complaint at the venue it happened. They can also support you deal with practical issues such as concerns about your safety, wellbeing support and/or impact on your academic studies.  The service is confidential, information is not shared with anyone without your consent (unless there is an immediate risk to you or someone else). Information on how to access the service is on our Support Page.

Talk to the University’s Police Higher Education Liaison Officer: PC Laura Beaton is based on campus full time and her role is to offer help, advice and support to students and staff on campus. PC Laura Beaton can listen to your experience and talk you through what may happen if you decided to make a formal complaint. Talking to Laura does not commit you to taking any further action. You can arrange to speak to Laura anonymously through the University’s Harassment and Misconduct Team or LUU.  Information on how to access the service is on our Support Page.

I would like to report what has happened?

There are different ways you can tell someone what you have experienced. You might make a disclosure to someone, make a formal complaint or report directly to the Police.

Contact the venue where the spiking happened: every venue should have complaint processes and policies in place to deal with incidents that happen in their venue.  Many venues will want to know what has happened.  It depends on the outcome you want from the venue - you may be unhappy at how they dealt with the incident when it happened, you may want to know what their training or policies are for venue safety or you may want to tell them it has happened.  Any reports made to the Police are likely to involve the venue being asked for CCTV. However this is not something a venue can give to you directly.  If you would like support in contacting the venue, LUU advice can help - advice@luu.leeds.ac.uk

Report and Support: you can make an anonymous disclosure or request support from the Harassment and Misconduct Team. By providing your contact details an adviser will be able to explain the options and support available to you, in confidence. If you choose to disclose anonymously, we won't be able to contact you and it is unlikely we will take action.

Report to the Police: you can do this by speaking directly with the Campus PC, Laura Beaton by emailing l.beaton@leeds.ac.uk or calling on 07719417879 (8am — 4pm, Monday to Friday). You can also contact the Police directly by phoning 101 or doing an online chat with the 101 service (this can be quicker to get through) - https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/101LiveChat.


There are two ways you can tell us what happened