Experiencing racism can be a frightening experience, and you should not have to live with the fear or anxiety that this causes. You may have experienced many incidents, or something that happened once. It is important to remember that it was not your fault. 

What do you want to happen?

You may know what your next steps will be, feel uncertain about what happens next or worry if it is something you want to share with anyone else. There is support for you; this comes with no expectation that you will make a formal report.  We've listed a few options below, so you can make a choice that is right for you. One or a combination of these services may be right for you.

I'd like to talk through my options with someone

The Harassment and Misconduct team are the recommended first point of contact for any student who has been impacted by violence, abuse, bullying, harassment or discrimination. You don’t have to make a report to access their services. With your consent the team of specialist advisors can help you with:   

  • Offering confidential advice and info to help you decide what’s right for you 
  • Navigating academic accommodations or living concerns 
  • Being referred to counselling, medical and legal services 
  • Accessing self-care support 
  • Making a formal complaint or report, on-campus or off
  • Providing info and educational information 
  • Being there to listen
The best way to get in touch with the Harassment and Misconduct team is to complete the disclosure form. A specialist advisor will contact you within one working day to arrange a confidential appointment. Alternatively, you can email us at reportandsupport@leeds.ac.uk.

Want to know more about the team? Meet our specialist advisors in the Harassment and Misconduct team.

Leeds University Union (LUU) Advice team: Independent of the university, an advisor can talk through your options and support you through whatever decision you make. They can help with practical issues such as any impact on your studies, accommodation or finances. LUU is also a Hate Crime Reporting Centre.

University’s Police Higher Education Liaison Officer: Based on campus, they are here to listen to you and explain what may happen if you decided to make a formal report to the Police. Talking to them does not commit you to taking any further action. You can arrange to speak to them anonymously, either through the Harassment and Misconduct Team.

Talk to an external organisation or charity:  More information about support that is available outside of the University is available here.

Further Support at the University: Students

Support in your School: you may feel comfortable to talk to your Academic Personal Tutor or Student Support Officer. You can talk through your options if your studies have been impacted. You may be able to ask for mitigating circumstances for upcoming deadlines. It is really important you speak to someone before you sit any exams or submit work. Any of the support services listed on this page can help you with this.

Placements, Study Abroad or Apprenticeships: as a Leeds Student you can access the free, independent and confidential help from professional advisors throughout your time at the university - even when you on not on campus e.g. with an employer, abroad or on a placement.  You can contact your named co-ordinator or tutor or get in touch with the Global Opportunities team.

If you are a postgraduate research student, you may want to talk to your Supervisor about what has happened as they play a crucial role in supporting you with both the academic and pastoral elements of your studies, your Graduate School can also help.  They can help advise you on your options for taking some time away from your studies, can explain how to ask for additional time to complete work and can also organise, or suggest, emotional and wellbeing support.  

Support in Residences: if you live in a university halls of residence, you can contact your Residence Life Wardens who can offer support and signposting guidance. They hold advisory sessions and normally you don’t require an appointment to attend. To find out which Residence Life Warden(s) look after your residence and when they are available, visit contacts page and select your residence from the drop down menu. If for any reason you are unable to reach a Warden, you can email Residence Life via ResidenceLife@leeds.ac.uk or out of hours, call security via 0113 343 2222.

Universities Chaplaincy team: they offer a confidential, pastoral care and spiritual support to students of all faiths and to those who have no religious beliefs. You can get in touch by email: Chaplaincy@leeds.ac.uk or visit their website.

Muslim Student Adviser: Sister Jaan Malik offers pastoral and spiritual support. She works on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays. You can get in touch with Sister Jaan by emailing j.malik@leeds.ac.uk
Jewish Chaplaincy: chaplains and chaplaincy couples offer support to Jewish students of all backgrounds and affiliations.  For further information please visit the national University Jewish Chaplaincy website and/or the Jewish chaplaincy in the Leeds and Yorkshire areas.

Further Support at the University: Staff

Staff Counselling and Psychological Support: the team provides confidential professional support for all University staff for personal or work-related problems and challenges.   They operate a hybrid model of working.  Most Staff Counsellors work partly from home and partly on campus whilst some work wholly from home.  They recognise that colleagues too may be working from home, on campus or a mixture of the two.  The service can provide counselling and role-based support in person on campus, online or by phone.

They also have a range of wellbeing resources. You can get in touch via email at staffcounselling@leeds.ac.uk or phone 0113 3433694.  You can also visit their website for more information.

Your Line Manager or HR:  It may help to talk to your line manager if you are finding what has happening or still is ongoing, is having an impact on your work and/or emotional wellbeing.   If you are not comfortable doing this you can speak to your HR Officer who can talk through what support is available. HR will be able to discuss these issues with you sensitively and without involving your manager initially. In many cases, however, your manager may need to become involved at a later stage , as this is often necessary to investigate or address issues that are raised. You can find out the details of your local HR Officer on the HR website.

Trade Union Representation:  if you are a member of a Trade Union, you may wish to approach them for support and advice.


There are two ways you can tell us what happened