If you need help in an emergency, please call 999 or if the emergency is on campus or in University accommodation, contact the University Security Services emergency number on 0113 343 2222 (available 24 hours a day). 
It is important to remember that it is not your fault.  There is a lot of support, you won't be pressured into taking action you don't want to take.  You may question whether it is worth coming forward. Will anyone take it seriously? These thoughts are normal and it will be taken seriously. If you experienced something that has had an impact on you, we encourage you to consider accessing support. 

What do you want to happen next?

You may know what your next steps will be, feel uncertain about what could happen or feel overwhelmed.  We've listed a few options below, so you can make a choice that is right for you. One or a combination may be right for you.

I'd like to talk through my options with someone 

Harassment and Misconduct Team: our specialist, experienced team can talk through your options, including support available. They can talk through what you need to feel safe and explain what would happen if you choose to make a complaint. They can also help with practical issues such as finding safe accommodation or mitigating circumstances as well as make personal referrals to other services that can help with your emotional and physical wellbeing. practical issues such financial support or help if your academic studies/work is impacted. You will be supported by a named advisor, who can be a main point of contact to help you when you need additional support or updates on your case if you choose to make a complaint. The service is confidential and your information would not be shared (unless there are any Safeguarding concerns, for example if any vulnerable children or adults could be at risk). You can contact the team at reportandsupport@leeds.ac.uk or by completing our disclosure form.

Leeds University Union (LUU) Advice team: independent of the university, an advisor can talk through your options and support you through whatever decision you make. They can help with practical issues such as any impact on your studies, accommodation or finances. The service is confidential; information is not shared with anyone without your consent (unless there is an immediate risk to you or someone else). Information on how to access the service is on our Support Page.

University’s Police Higher Education Liaison Officer: PC Laura Beaton is based on campus, here to listen to you and explain what may happen if you decided to make a formal report to the Police. Talking to Laura does not commit you to taking any further action. You can arrange to speak to Laura anonymously, either through the Harassment and Misconduct Team or LUU.   Information on how to access the service is on our Support Page.

External organisations or charities: there are many organisations that can help with support and guidance following a sexual assault/harassment. Information on how to access these organisations is on our Support Page.

I would like to report what has happened?

There are different ways you can tell someone what you have experienced.

Report and Support: you can make an anonymous disclosure or request support from the Harassment and Misconduct Team. By providing your contact details an adviser will be able to explain the options and support available to you, in confidence. If you choose to disclose anonymously, we won't be able to contact you and it is unlikely we will take action. 

Report to the Police: you can do this by speaking directly with the Campus PC, Laura Beaton by emailing l.beaton@leeds.ac.uk or calling on 07719417879 (8am — 4pm, Monday to Friday). You can also contact the Police directly by phoning 101 or doing an online chat with the 101 service (this can be quicker to get through) - https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/101LiveChat. There is also the option of talking directly with a Specialist Safeguarding and Rape Sexual Offences trained officer, which you can access via LUU Advice or PC Laura Beaton.

Make a complaint to the university (if you are a student): if the person you wish to make the complaint about is a registered student at the University, you can make a complaint to the university under the Dignity and Mutual Respect Policy. This would be received by the Student Cases team, who will get in touch with you to talk through your complaint and explain the next steps of the process. You can email studentcomplaints@leeds.ac.uk for more information. If you wish to make a complaint we would encourage you to speak with LUU Advice at advice@luu.leeds.ac.uk 

If the person you wish to make a complaint about is a member of staff at the university you can also make a complaint under the Dignity and Mutual Respect Policy and this would be dealt with by the university HR team.  For further guidance and independent support please contact LUU Advice at advice@luu.leeds.ac.uk

Make a complaint to the university (if you are a staff member): if you wish to make a complaint against another member of staff you can talk to your Line Manager in the first instance.  Alternatively, please contact your local HR Officer or Manager to discuss your concerns. They will be able to discuss these issues with you sensitively and without involving your manager initially. In many cases, however, your manager may need to become involved at a later stage, as this is often necessary to investigate or address issues that are raised. You can find out the details of your local HR Officer on the HR website.

I've recently experienced sexual assault

If you have been sexually assaulted within the past 7 days you can contact the Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC). Provided by the NHS, your local SARC offers medical, practical and emotional support to anyone who has been sexually assaulted, raped or abused. They can take physical evidence which, if done within 7 days of an assault, can be held on file while you decide whether you want to make a complaint to the Police. SARC staff will not inform the Police that you can been in contact or that they are storing evidence. 

Help is available 24 hours a day. In Leeds, our local SARC is the Hazelhurst Centre. Their website includes information about how to book an appointment and what to expect when you are there.

Helpful Links


There are two ways you can tell us what happened