If you need immediate support or help, consider calling 999 or (if you are on campus or in University residences) call the University Security Services on 0113 343 2222. More information about support in a crisis can be found on our website.

You can also use the SafeZone app while on campus to ask for help. 

It is important to remember that it is not your fault.  You may feel responsible, guilt, and/or shame. All of these are normal feelings and is usually how the person wants or expects you to feel.   There are specialist services available to support you and you don't have to report the incident to the police in order to access this support.  

If you're still at risk.

If there is an immediate danger call the police on 999, or if you're on campus call security on 0113 343 2222. If you are unable to talk, and are calling from a mobile phone, you should remain silent. There will be a recorded message and you must press 55 to confirm you need help from the police. If the incident has just happened, find a safe space. This might be your home, a friend's home or somewhere visible and public. If you are not able to get somewhere you feel safe, all the police on 999, or if you're on campus call security on 0113 343 2222.  If you are worried about how to get to somewhere safe, you could use the Student Safe Taxi Scheme.

What would you like to happen?

You may know what you want to happen now.  Or it may feel scary and overwhelming, especially if you are still in a relationship with the person(s), feel at risk from them or don't know what you want to do.  You may also worry about what consequences there be if you talk to someone.  We have listed a few options below, these services have staff who will understand the worries and challenges.   Support is here whatever decision you make. 

I'd like to talk through my options with someone

Harassment and Misconduct Team: our specialist, experienced team can talk through your options, including support available. They can talk through what you need to feel safe and explain what would happen if you choose to make a complaint. They can also help with practical issues such as finding safe accommodation or mitigating circumstances as well as make personal referrals to other services that can help with your emotional and physical wellbeing. practical issues such financial support or help if your academic studies/work is impacted. You will be supported by a named advisor, who can be a main point of contact to help you when you need additional support or updates on your case if you choose to make a complaint. The service is confidential and your information would not be shared (unless there are any Safeguarding concerns, for example if any vulnerable children or adults could be at risk). You can contact the team at reportandsupport@leeds.ac.uk or by completing our disclosure form.

Leeds University Union (LUU) Advice team:  staff are independent from the university and have experience and training to help talk through your options and support you in whatever decision you choose to make.  This can include talking through options to report what has happened and helping to set up a safe space for you to talk to a specialist organisation or charity.  They can also support you deal with practical issues such as concerns about your accommodation whether you are in university accommodation, private or have you own property, accessing financial and wellbeing support and/or impact on your academic studies or work.  The service is confidential, information is not shared with anyone without your consent (unless there is an immediate risk to you or someone else, this would include Safeguarding if any vulnerable children or adults could be at risk) ). Information on how to access the service is on our Support Page.

University’s Police Higher Education Liaison Officer: PC Laura Beaton is based on campus full time and her role is to offer help, advice and support to students and staff on campus. If you have any concerns about your safety or want to know what options you have to make a report, PC Laura Beaton can listen  and talk you through what safety measures can be put in place  and what may happen if you decided to make a complaint. Talking to Laura does not commit you to taking any further action. You can arrange to speak to Laura anonymously through the the University’s Harassment and Misconduct team or LUU.  How to access the service is on our Support Page.

Talk to an external organisation or charity:  there are many organisations that can help with support and guidance.   They offer a confidential service and can talk through options and help signpost to other services.  There are a broad range of charities, and information on how to access these organisations is on our Support Page.

I would like to report what has happened?

There are different ways you can tell someone what you have experienced.

Report and Support: you can make an anonymous disclosure or request support from the Harassment and Misconduct Team. By providing your contact details an adviser will be able to explain the options and support available to you, in confidence. If you choose to disclose anonymously, we won't be able to contact you and it is unlikely we will take action. 

Report to the Police: you can do this by speaking directly with the Campus PC, Laura Beaton by emailing l.beaton@leeds.ac.uk or calling on 07719417879 (8am — 4pm, Monday to Friday). You can also contact the Police directly by phoning 101 or doing an online chat with the 101 service (this can be quicker to get through) - https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/101LiveChat.

Make a complaint to the university (if you are a student): if the person you wish to make the complaint about is a current registered student at the University, you can make a complaint to the university under the Dignity and Mutual Respect Policy. This would be received by the Student Cases team, who will get in touch with you to talk through your complaint and explain the next steps of the process. You can email studentcomplaints@leeds.ac.uk for more information.  If you want to make a university complaint we would encourage you to first speak LUU Advice at advice@luu.leeds.ac.uk who can help with the process.

If the person you wish to make a complaint about is a member of staff at the university you can also make a complaint under the Dignity and Mutual Respect Policy.  This will be dealt with my the university HR team.  For further guidance and independent support please contact LUU Advice at advice@luu.leeds.ac.uk

Make a complaint to the university (if you are a staff member): if you wish to make a complaint against another member of staff you can talk to your Line Manager in the first instance.  Alternatively, please contact your local HR Officer or Manager to discuss your concerns. They will be able to discuss these issues with you sensitively and without involving your manager initially. In many cases, however, your manager may need to become involved at a later stage, as this is often necessary to investigate or address issues that are raised. You can find out the details of your local HR Officer on the HR website.


Helpful Links 


There are two ways you can tell us what happened