If you need help in an emergency, please call 999 or if the emergency is on campus or in University accommodation, contact the University Security Services emergency number on 0113 343 2222 (available 24 hours a day). 
Experiencing any hate related incident or crime can be a frightening experience, and you should not have to live with the fear or anxiety that this causes.  You may have experienced many incidents, or something that happened once.  You may question whether it is worth saying anything, will anyone care, take it seriously - you may feel there is no 'evidence' of what happened.  These concerns or thoughts are normal, especially if you have said something before and no one helped or took it seriously.   It is important to remember that it was not your fault. 

The information below is there is help you make an informed decision about next steps.  We want to know about anything that impacts you, it does not have to be a serious crime for you to feel you can come forward.  The more we know about what is happening, the more we can inform our training and work with partners to create a better environment.

What do you want to happen?

You may know what your next steps will be, or feel uncertain about what could happen and whether it is something you want to share with anyone else.  There is support for you, this comes with no expectation that you will make a complaint - it might help to talk it through?  We've listed a few options below, so you can make a choice that is right for you. 

I'd like to talk through my options with someone 

One or a combination of these services may be right for you.

Harassment and Misconduct Team: our specialist, experienced team can talk through your options, including support available. They can talk through what you need to feel safe and explain what would happen if you choose to make a complaint. They can also help with practical issues such as finding safe accommodation or mitigating circumstances as well as make personal referrals to other services that can help with your emotional and physical wellbeing. practical issues such financial support or help if your academic studies/work is impacted. You will be supported by a named advisor, who can be a main point of contact to help you when you need additional support or updates on your case if you choose to make a complaint. The service is confidential and your information would not be shared (unless there are any Safeguarding concerns, for example if any vulnerable children or adults could be at risk). You can contact the team at reportandsupport@leeds.ac.uk or by completing our disclosure form.

Leeds University Union (LUU) Advice team:  are independent of the university.  Staff are trained in supporting students victim of hate crimes and hate incidents.  The service is also a Hate Crime Reporting Centre.  An advisor can talk through your options and support you through whatever decision you make.  They can also support you deal with practical issues such as concerns about your accommodation, accessing financial and wellbeing support and/or impact on your academic studies.  The service is confidential, information is not shared with anyone without your consent (unless there is an immediate risk to you or someone else). Information on how to access the service is on our Support Page.

Police Higher Education Liaison Officer: PC Laura Beaton is based on campus full time and her role is to offer help, advice and support to students and staff on campus. PC Laura Beaton can listen to your experience and talk you through what may happen if you decided to make a formal complaint. Talking to Laura does not commit you to taking any further action. You can arrange to speak to Laura anonymously through the LUU or the University’s Harassment and Misconduct Team, so she does not hold your name or details of the other person involved. Information on how to access the service is on our Support Page.

Talk to an external organisation or charity:  there are organisations that can help with support and guidance following a hate crime or hate incident. They offer a confidential service and can talk through options and help signpost to other services. Information on how to access these organisations is on our Support Page.

I would like to report what has happened?

There are different ways you can tell someone what you have experienced.

Report and Support: you can make an anonymous disclosure or request support from the Harassment and Misconduct Team. By providing your contact details an adviser will be able to explain the options and support available to you, in confidence. If you choose to disclose anonymously, we won't be able to contact you and it is unlikely we will take action.  We will use the general data collected to help inform our preventative work, so telling us will have an impact.

Make a report at LUU Advice who are a Hate Crime Reporting Centre  - you can get in touch by calling into the service (Foyer in the LUU Building) or emailing advice@luu.leeds.ac.uk 

Make a report to Stop Hate UK: Stop Hate UK is a UK based charity to help you report a hate crime, receive support before, during and after and to help you understand the process. You can report online.

Make a report through True Vision: this police-funded website where you can report a hate crime. The police will record and investigate this offence even if you do not want to give your details. 

Report to the Police: you can do this by speaking directly with the Campus PC, Laura Beaton by emailing l.beaton@leeds.ac.uk or calling on 07719417879 (8am — 4pm, Monday to Friday). You can also contact the Police directly by phoning 101 or doing an online chat with the 101 service (this can be quicker to get through) - https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/101LiveChat.

Make a complaint to the university (if you are a student): if the person you wish to make the complaint about is a current registered student at the University of Leeds, you can make a complaint to the university under the Dignity and Mutual Respect Policy. This would be received by the Student Cases team, who will get in touch with you to talk through your complaint and explain the next steps of the process. You can email studentcomplaints@leeds.ac.uk for more information. If you want to make a university complaint, we would encourage you to speak with LUU Advice at advice@luu.leeds.ac.uk

If the person you wish to make a complaint about is a member of staff at the university you can also make a complaint under the Dignity and Mutual Respect Policy.  This will be dealt with by the university HR team.  For further guidance and independent support please contact LUU Advice at advice@luu.leeds.ac.uk

Make a complaint to the university (if you are a staff member): if you wish to make a complaint against another member of staff you can talk to your Line Manager in the first instance.  Alternatively, please contact your local HR Officer or Manager to discuss your concerns. They will be able to discuss these issues with you sensitively and without involving your manager initially. In many cases, however, your manager may need to become involved at a later stage, as this is often necessary to investigate or address issues that are raised. You can find out the details of your local HR Officer on the HR website.

Helpful Links


There are two ways you can tell us what happened